Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Comment Comment Comment

I've been on a businesstrip/vacation for the past week. Apparently I missed when Don Imus insulted the Rutgers women's basketball team. As I was waiting around in the Detroit airport, FoxNews informed me that he refered to the team as "nappy headed hoes." I was outraged at his comment and more than an apology was needed.

However, I feel conflicted. Recently Ludacris released the song "Runaway Love" and I everytime I hear it I think "I really wish he would go back to bitches and hoes." Don Imus didn't just pull the phrase out of his ass...he's heard it somewhere. Probably from Ludacris. I'm not blaming hip hop but... Don Imus is dead wrong but let's put it in context.

3 comments:

rashad said...

You know LT, the older I get, the more I'm realizing that folks are complex. no one is all good, no one is all bad. someone can be 70% good, and then call women out of their name 25% of the time, so does that make them bad now? who knows..i have no point

beautifullife00 said...

Not to put all the blame on hip hop, but hip hop has desensitized what used to be considered racist and sexist remarks. When will these artists and producers get it? Defense lawyers are using hip hop lyrics to defend racist
remarks and winning cases.

Unknown said...

I would never blame hip-hop. It's a creative artform that I love and there is just so much good about it. However, it's a symptom of a bigger problem that it's ok to degrade black women and that black women should aspire to act in degrading ways. If it wasn't certain types hip hop it would be something else.