Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ranch Be Gone

With the oppressive heat we've been experiencing in the metro area, who wants to eat a hot meal? We are fully into salad season. I'm excited and ready to embrace it.

However, my food snob radar has been going off lately. I have been really sensitive to people ordering ranch as their dressing of choice. I feel like there are many dressings that will make your lettuce stand to its feet. Especially as adults, we should expand our palettes so we can enjoy life that much more. So today I offer to you a recipe, Aisha's Chinese chicken salad.

Salad

1 chicken breast chopped (grilled or pan fried)
chinese cabbage chopped (tough stalks removed)
cilantro chopped (or other fresh herb)
slivered Almonds
1 Can mandarin oranges


Homemade Dressing

combine the following in a bowl with a sealed top

Juice of 1 Lime
3 TBSP Sesame Oil (or olive oil)
1TBSP Chinese mustard (or Dijon)
1TBSP Honey
Rice Vinegar (or white or champagne vinegar)

Shake Well. Pour on salad.


They say "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." In my next entry I will explain the salad dressing making basics so you can get creative.

2 comments:

rashad said...

Bless you my child. And ranch is a copout dressing to order..its all about raspberry vinagrette

A Beautiful Life said...

Thanks! I will try it. I can't do creamy dressings anymore. I like vinagrettes and asian dressings