Saturday, July 24, 2010

Inferno


Heat index of 105. I have nothing else to say. Knowing that I would probably spend my entire Saturday in the house running up my electricity bill, I got up early to run some errands (including going to urgent care because I have pink eye). As I waited for my eye appointment, I decided that I needed to start cooking from Vegan Soul Kitchen before I need to return it to the library. Too bad I didn't have the book on me but I figured if I just grabbed a few beans and veggies that I surely would be able to make something. We had our last head of broccoli in the fridge so I started with that. I made Broccoli with Citrus Dressing which is inspired by a recipe in the book. I didn't really have enough broccoli so there was a lot of extra dressing. Using items on hand I created a spinach salad but it is not vegan because I used honey but if you have agave or maple syrup use that.

Spinach and Citrus Salad

Dressing: Combine all of these ingredients in a blender
1Tbsp Honey
2Tbsp pink grapefruit juice
2 Tbsp lime
9 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp salt

Salad

Spinach
Red Onion
Avocado
Almonds
Cherry tomato
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Grape fruit slices

No comments: