Monday, July 26, 2010

More Vegan Food







I spent this weekend stuck in the house so I spent some time cooking. I made two things, Vegan Maple Banana Muffins and Curry Black Eyed Pea Fritters. I don't think I want to be vegan but I want to try going all organic but I am on a budget so that means finding protein sources that are cheaper.

Maple Banana Muffins were exactly the same recipe as found in Vegan Soul Kitchen but the Black Eyed Pea Fritters took a significant departure. I started with the recipe from the book but it seemed runny and bland. I think it's because I used a blender and not a food processor and I had to work around a nut allergy. So here is what I came up with.

Aisha's Black Eyed Pea Fritters

2 cups blacked eyed peas (soaked overnight will yield 4 cups soaked)
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup of almond butter
1 small onion chopped
3 garlic cloves
3 TBSP of curry powder
1 TBSP red pepper flakes
salt to taste
4 TBSP corn meal
1 bell pepper minced
1 cup of oil for deep frying

Blend 1 cup of black eyed peas, water, almond butter, onion, garlic, curry powder, red pepper flakes in a upright blender. Once blended add each remaining cup of peas one at a time until the batter is the consistency of waffle batter. Mix with a spoon between to make sure all the peas are blended and no hard pieces remain. Put the batter in the refrigerator for one hour.

After the batter comes out heat oil in a large frying pan. Oil should be hot but not smoking. Add the corn meal and bell pepper to the batter and mix with a spoon. Use a small scoop or a tbsp to put the batter into the hot oil. Fry as many as will fit in your pan. Each fritter should fry for 5 minutes. Once golden brown remove to a paper towel lined backing sheet or plate. Serve with a sweet and spicy sauce such as the Pastor's Sauce.

Disclosure: The Pastor is a friend of friend but I really did eat the fritters with the sauce.

No comments: