Sunday, October 22, 2006

You never get over the death of a parent

On July 12, 2003 my mother died of cancer. It is the event that has shaped my life. Not only her actual death but, her 20 years fight with breast cancer. Every now and then something reminds me of my loss. Something that makes me upset that she's not here with me. I do have to remember how fortunate I am. I could have lost her when I was three and barely have any memory of her. So I am happy that I even have something to remember.

As I continue to unpack I find things I haven't seen in a very long time. This morning I found the book for "Little Miss Los Angeles 1983". As a child my father put me in many pageants. In the booklet people bought advertisements to support me and offer encouraging words. On my three pages are the names of friends and family many of which who are no longer with us. These include my mother, aunt, grandmother, god mother.

The book also shows how much life has changed. Al King, our family mechanic bought an ad. He is now the partner of my cousin Attricia. Also both of my parents Post Office buddies bought ad and now my dad is retired. Another thing I noted is that businesses from Compton, CA bought ads in my book. I may not actually be from Compton but Compton is for Aisha!

It's time to update the book a little bit: We Love and Miss You Mommy-Gina, Trice & Aisha

No comments: