Monday, November 27, 2006


Lynchburg, VA




The town was nothing like I thought it would be. I imagined farm land for miles and people sitting on their porches with shot guns. However that wasn't the case. As we approached the city we got a lovely view of the city of seven hills. The city looks a lot like Providence, RI. If no one told you, you might think that you were in New England. The city has very historic architecture and is not a bunch of sub-divisions and strip malls like many cities in the south. I could clearly imagine Civil War battles happening in this town. I could also still see remnants of segregation as I passed by what was once Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School for Coloreds.

It's not a hick town at all. They have two colleges, malls, farmers markets and even a Gold's Gym. They have sidewalks everywhere while Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Durham aren't even paved everywhere.I don't think they have much night life though. It doesn't really matter because families are close and you just hang out with your people drinking cocktails.

The only strange thing that happened was that I was offered a meal of chitlins, greens, rolls, and champagne! I politely declined.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where does the champagne fit it?!?!

Saun said...

I would have thought Lynchburg was a small town but it's good to know it's not.

If you didn't have that tastey meal, what did you eat? If nothing else you could have had some champagne. Was it good champagne?

Anonymous said...

i imagine the champagne was included to help push the rest of that meal down?

Unknown said...

Oh don't get me wrong, it's still a small town to me. Maybe it's a medium town. But there isn't as much open land in Lynchburg. For reference:

Lynchburg- 50 sq mi
Raleigh- 114 sq mi
Chapel Hill- 19.8 sq mi

As for the chitlins and champagne... That was just a random late night snack. They basically drink alcohol with every meal except breakfast. It seemed like every hour it was "time for a cocktail". They had an excellent selection of liquour very quality stuff.

A Beautiful Life said...

It's a cute town. Is that where the sig other is from?