Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Couch to 5K

This month I have foolishly decided to join the PostBourgie.com running challenge. It isn't officially advertised on the site but most of the people who have joined are in some way affiliated with the bloggers of the site.

I've always been the girl with the funny walk because I am extremely pigeon-toed . It's due to a hip misalignment I've had since birth. With that I also suffer from pettallo femoral syndrome. So my knee has a tendency to jump out of place and it sounds like I have rice krispies when I ascend stairs. The only help I can get for this is to strengthen my quadriceps to compensate for my knee. I often get swelling in my knees when it gets cold. It's made me shy about running and working out in general.

Putting all of those reasons aside, I decided that I would try my hand a jogging. When I get on the treadmill at the gym I feel hindered because I can't walk any faster without breaking into a jog. About three weeks ago I just decided to jog. Surprisingly it didn't hurt and there was no swelling. That's when I started flirting with the idea of jogging the September running challenge. I've signed up to jog/walk 25 miles this month. I know I'll meet the mileage but I really want to jog as many of them as I can. I'm sticking to the treadmill until I feel a little stronger.

At some point I would like to be able to run or jog for longer distances so I am starting the Couch to 5K program. This program starts you out with a combination for jogging and walking until you can run three miles. So in 9 weeks let's see where I am.

No comments: