Friday, August 06, 2010

Do you have high cholesterol?

If you you should be eating oatmeal everyday. I know you already are but how are you eating it? Are you using the sugar laden instant kind? Just Say No! I'm in the business of saving money while eating relatively healthy. So let me help you out.

1. A can (30 servings) of quick oats will cost you $4.79 (and cheaper with coupons) while a box of plain instant will cost you 3.99 for 10 servings. That's .16 and .39 per serving respectively.

2. You can control the amount of sugar by using honey, agave or raw sugar as a sweetener. Try using cinnamon or nutmeg as well. I find cinnamon to add sweetness by itself.

3. Make it powerful. Use skim, soy or almond milk to get some Vitamin D and a smidge of protein. You could also add a few nuts or ground flax seed for more healthy fats.

4. Get a serving of fruit and other vitamins by adding bananas, strawberry, peaches or applesauce.

It takes me about a three minutes t0 put this together in the morning. I mix all my ingredients Glad BPA free twist and lock containers and go out the door.

No comments: